Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Maple Quinoa Granola

My name is Wendy and I am addicted to granola. And Baked Oatmeal. And anything else remotely related to the grains family.

It seems I have been making a new granola almost every weekend. It is one of those MUST HAVE foods that in fact, goes hand in hand with my yogurt. One cannot be without the other.

I always get a little glimmer of excitement when I find a new recipe for granola. This one is truly awesome! It is higher in calories and fat per serving, simply because of the high nuts & seeds content. But, these are the good fats, and a little of this stuff goes a long way! I also portion my granola out into 1/4 cup servings. Even with the yogurt, it is a healthy, mouth watering snack for under 200 calories. Oh. Yes.

I found the recipe on a blog I had not come across before called Hungry Hungry Hippie. Here is a link to the original recipe:
http://hungryhungryhippie.com/2011/02/23/quinoa-granola/

I, as usual, made my little changes. Here is my version. You should try this. Really.

Maple Quinoa Granola
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ingredients:

1 cup whole rolled oats (I used Rogers Porridge Oats)
1 cup buckwheat (I used groats)
1/3 cup quinoa (I used red)
2 T chia seeds (I used ground chia)
1/2 cup raw almonds, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/4 cup black sesame seeds
1/2 cup shredded coconut (I used large, chipped)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted

So basically you mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Whisk your maple syrup with melted coconut oil. Pour over dry ingredients and stir till coated. Dump onto parchment paper lined cookie sheet & bake at 225 for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.

**I store my granola ALWAYS in the freezer, and scoop out my portion from there**

Makes 24 1/4 cup servings

Per 1/4 cup serving:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Calories: 164
Fat: 10.4 g
Carbs: 16.7 g
Protein: 3.5 g









1 comment: